Want to be inspired?
Want to become empowered?
Wanto to become more confident?
Want to learn about your rights?
Want to access opportunity?
CoolTan Arts’ Self Advocacy course is a FREE training opportunity for people who experience mental distress to learn to support themselves.
The Self Advocacy workshops run on Tuesdays (11-1pm) and Thursdays (2-4pm). If you have had mental distress and are interested in learning how to represent yourself and improve your knowledge about health, wellbeing, your rights and the system, then we can help. Join the award-winning classes, and learn skills to strengthen your inner resources and deal with challenges that may meet you in everyday life. We have a rolling 6 month class timetable, which is co-designed by trainers and participants, features guest speakers and specialist subjects. The classes are inclusive and welcoming, and the course as a whole strongly promotes wellbeing as being fundamental to positive growth. Some of the positive feedback from attendees include comments such as “It empowers me”, “It helps me manage my moods”, “I learnt I’m not alone” and “I’m glad I came”.
Subjects covered by Self Advocacy include:
- Managing Anxiety
- Developing Self Esteem
- Building Resilience
- Understanding the Mental Health Act
- Managing Stress
- Dealing with professionals
- Speaking with Confidence
- Challenging Discrimination
- Psychological Therapies
In July 2013 Self Advocacy won the prestigious ‘Best Practice Award in Peer Support Development’ by the Mental Health Provider’s Forum. In 2015 it won the ‘Strengthening Citizen Voice’ award also by MHPF and the Aim Award quality mark as an approved training course. This was achieved due to the valiant efforts of the participants and the support they showed each other. Well done all.
If you are interested in joining a workshop, please see our Registration and Referrals Page for more information, or contact Thomas Andrews on 0207 701 2696 or at email@example.com. For general enquires please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are with a Community Mental Health Team please see our Referrals page.
Upcoming Self Advocacy Sessions 2016
- Self Advocacy Core Sessions
- External Guest Speaker
- Wellbeing – Alison Vine
- Reflective Sessions
- May 3, 2016 11:00 amWellbeing 4
- May 5, 2016 2:00 pmDealing with Professionals
- May 10, 2016 11:00 amGuest Speaker - Music Therapy
- May 12, 2016 2:00 pmMental Health and The Police
- May 17, 2016 11:00 amChallenging Discrimination
- May 19, 2016 2:00 pmGuest Speaker - Housing & Benefits
- May 24, 2016 11:00 amMentoring & Peer Support
- May 26, 2016 2:00 pmLulu Falbe-Hansen - Psychological Therapies
- May 31, 2016 11:00 amGuest Speaker - Chair Yoga
- June 2, 2016 2:00 pmReflective Session
- June 7, 2016 11:00 amWellbeing 5
- June 14, 201611.00amSpeaking with Confidence
- June 21, 2016 11:00 amvolunteering Alasdair Sladen (CAS)
- June 28, 201611.00a.m.Wellbeing 6
- June 30, 2016 2:00 pmReflective Session
With thanks to the Big Lottery Fund for their support.