Want to be inspired?
Want to become empowered?
Wanto to become more confident?
Want to learn about your rights?
Want to access opportunity?
CoolTan Arts’ Self Advocacy course is a FREE training opportunity for people who experience mental distress to learn to support themselves.
The Self Advocacy workshops run on Tuesdays (11-1pm) and Thursdays (2-4pm). If you have had mental distress and are interested in learning how to represent yourself and improve your knowledge about health, wellbeing, your rights and the system, then we can help. Join the award-winning classes, and learn skills to strengthen your inner resources and deal with challenges that may meet you in everyday life. We have a rolling 6 month class timetable, which is co-designed by trainers and participants, features guest speakers and specialist subjects. The classes are inclusive and welcoming, and the course as a whole strongly promotes wellbeing as being fundamental to positive growth. Some of the positive feedback from attendees include comments such as “It empowers me”, “It helps me manage my moods”, “I learnt I’m not alone” and “I’m glad I came”.
Subjects covered by Self Advocacy include:
- Managing Anxiety
- Developing Self Esteem
- Building Resilience
- Understanding the Mental Health Act
- Managing Stress
- Dealing with professionals
- Speaking with Confidence
- Challenging Discrimination
- Psychological Therapies
If you attend the Tuesday and Thursday sessions, you can also take part in the complementary two hour IT sessions at CoolTan Arts on a Friday afternoon. These comprise one hour’s tuition and one hour’s free time.
In July 2013 Self Advocacy won the prestigious ‘Best Practice Award in Peer Support Development’ by the Mental Health Provider’s Forum. In 2015 it won the ‘Strengthening Citizen Voice’ award also by MHPF and the Aim Award quality mark as an approved training course. This was achieved due to the valiant efforts of the participants and the support they showed each other. Well done all.
If you are interested in joining Self Advocacy, please contact Thomas Andrews on 0207 701 2696 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are with a Community Mental Health Team please see our Referrals page. You can also visit CoolTan Arts during our monthly Open Afternoons.
Upcoming Self Advocacy Sessions 2016
- Self Advocacy Core Sessions
- External Guest Speaker
- Wellbeing Sessions
- Reflective Sessions
- October 24, 2017 11:00 amThe Happiness Habit
- October 26, 2017 2:00 pmNarrative Therapy
- October 27, 2017 1:00 pmSelf Advocacy IT
- October 31, 2017 11:00 amComplimentary Therapies with Jill Newman
- November 2, 2017 2:00 pmChallenging Stigma Changing Attitudes
- November 3, 2017 1:00 pmSelf Advocacy IT
- November 7, 2017 11:00 amWellbeing - Take Notice - with Alison
- November 9, 2017 2:00 pmMaking a Complaint with Scarlet Gabriel
- November 10, 2017 1:00 pmSelf Advocacy IT
- November 14, 2017 11:00 amLegal Rights and MH with Bob Lepper
- November 16, 2017 2:00 pmManaging Anxiety with Khalid
- November 17, 2017 1:00 pmSelf Advocacy IT
- November 21, 2017 11:00 amCooking at Myatt's Field (10-2)
- November 23, 2017 2:00 pmMindfulness
- November 24, 2017 1:00 pmSelf Advocacy IT
With thanks to the Big Lottery Fund for their support.