CoolTan Arts’ Self Advocacy course is a FREE training opportunity for people who experience mental distress to learn to support themselves.
Wanna be inspired
Wanna become empowered
Wanna become more confident
Wanna learn about your rights
Wanna access opportunity?????
….Then come along to our FREE Self Advocacy workshops on Tuesdays (11-1pm) and Thursdays (2-4pm) where you can develop in these ways and many more. If you have had mental distress and are interested in learning how to represent yourself and improve your knowledge about health, wellbeing, your rights and the system, then we can help…
Come along and join our award winning classes and talks, and learn skills to strengthen your inner resources and deal with challenges that may meet you in everyday life. We have a rolling 6 month class timetable, which is co-designed by trainers and participants, features guest speakers, specialist subjects and is always evolving.
Some of the positive feedback from attendees include comments such as “It empowers me”, “It helps me manage my moods”, “I learnt I’m not alone” and “I’m glad I came”.
The classes are inclusive and welcoming, and the course as a whole strongly promotes wellbeing as being fundamental to positive growth. Subjects covered by Self Advocacy will include:
- Managing Anxiety
- Developing Self Esteem
- Building Resilience
- Understanding the Mental Health Act
- Managing Stress
- Dealing with professionals
- Speaking with Confidence
- Challenging Discrimination
- Psychological Therapies
In July 2013 Self Advocacy won the prestigious ‘Best Practice Award in Peer Support Development’ by the Mental Health Provider’s Forum. In 2015 it won the ‘Strengthening Citizen Voice’ award also by MHPF and the Aim Award quality mark as an approved training course. This was achieved due to the valiant efforts of the participants and the support they showed each other. Well done all.
If you are interested in joining a workshop, please see our Registration and Referrals Page for more information, or contact Thomas Andrews on 0207 701 2696 or at email@example.com. For general enquires please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are with a Community Mental Health Team please see our Referrals page.
Upcoming Self Advocacy Sessions 2016
- Self Advocacy Core Sessions
- External Guest Speaker
- Wellbeing – Alison Vine
- Reflective Sessions
- February 9, 2016 11:00 amPanic Attacks
- February 11, 2016 2:00 pmFraud Awareness
- February 16, 2016 11:00 amSelf Esteem with Alison Vine
- February 18, 2016 2:00 pmArt Therapy - Lulu Falbe-Hansen
- February 23, 2016 11:00 amMental Health Act
- February 25, 2016 2:00 pmReflective Session
- March 1, 2016 11:00 amWellbeing 2 with Alison Vine
- March 3, 2016 2:00 pmRest and Relaxation
- March 8, 2016 11:00 amEffective Communication
- March 10, 2016 2:00 pmMaking a Complaint
- March 15, 2016 11:00 amManaging Stress
- March 17, 2016 2:00 pmCultural Awareness
- March 22, 2016 11:00 amManaging Anxiety
- March 24, 2016 2:00 pmColour Therapy
- March 29, 2016 11:00 amThe Care Act