Impact of CoolTan Arts – the difference we make
CoolTan Arts provides a vital service and transforms people’s lives. We have 24 years experience of enabling people to develop their potential, reconnect with their aspirations, recover and enjoy life!
- In the last year we worked face-to-face with 2288 people across London and reached out to 9 million more.
- 88% of our participants say that attending CoolTan keeps them well and out of hospital.
- One third of our participants and volunteers move on to employment, education or training.
- We are proud to have received the GSK IMPACT Award for improving mental wellbeing in 2015 and Queen’s
Award for Voluntary Service in 2014
- In July 2013 Self Advocacy won the prestigious ‘Best Practice Award in Peer Support Development’ by the Mental
Health Provider’s Forum. In 2015 it won the ‘Strengthening Citizen Voice’ award also by MHPF
- In 2014 CoolTan was proud to receive the Investing in Volunteers (IiV) quality mark. This is the UK quality standard
for good practice in volunteer management
- In 2015 Self Advocacy won the Aim Award quality mark as an approved training course
What our participants say about CoolTan Arts’ impact:
“It has given me a sense of worth…I have reconnected with my artistic skills. I have met a lot of nice people with similar health problems. It gives you the chance to discuss issues with people who understand what you are experiencing”.
“The environment in the workshops is encouraging and supportive. It is a perfect atmosphere in which to learn”.
“It would be an understatement to say that my attendance at CoolTan has played a key part in my recovery. Its role in helping me stay well has been (and continues to be) absolutely fundamental”.
“CoolTan provides a firm focus in my life”
“It has made a bit more confident in reading my poems…it has given me great ideas for poems”.
“It has given me hope and purpose”.
“Doing art is very therapeutic…it raises my self-esteem”.
“If CoolTan Arts was not here I might not go out much as I suffer with paranoia. Not going out is not beneficial to my illness”.
“I have met new people and I like them. I learn skills and information. It is helping towards my having a job in a kitchen. I am nervous when I first meet people but I feel comfortable at the cooking club”.
“Healthy food makes people feel better”.
To read more about CoolTan’s impact please see our Annual Report 2014